As you know, I'm a budding Filmaker. ( hoootey hooo)
I freaking love film, It rocks...I mean, just think about it. There are people who WILL NEVER READ A BOOK...EVER! But they will go to see a movie every week. Most people get there culture through film...Most people get their perseptions of life from film. As a filmaker I have people that I take inspiration from. These two lovely ladies give their perspective on the film industry from a beginner and new comers POV.

Some of my favourite female directors takes on film...


( This interview is a little old, but still valid)

"BETTY: As a filmmaker, who were your role models?


GINA: He’s not technically a role model, but the filmmaker I respect the most is Martin Scorsese. Because I think he’s brilliant and you look at his movies and they don’t make a ton of money but they’re so respected. He has a point of view and he sticks with it. I’d love to have a career like that. I’ll always go back to my roots – with black film – but also I’d like to do something totally different and surprise people.

 

BETTY: What was it like working with Spike Lee as the film’s Producer?

GINA: It was great. He left me completely alone. He loved the script and he let me make the movie my way.




BETTY: What’s up next for you?

GINA: I’m shooting “Disappearing Acts” with Wesley Snipes and Sanaa Lathan, which will be coming out on HBO this December. It’s a deep and tragic love story…a bit more adult than “Love and Basketball”.

BETTY: We hear there’s plenty of ageism, racism, sexism in Hollywood. How do you cope as a young, black woman?


GINA: All three exist in Hollywood, constantly. But personally, I’ve been fortunate in the opportunities that I’ve had. I’ve faced more problems in TV than I have in film. There were those dramas…like “Sweet Justice”, which I had a script canned by the network because they said it was, “too black”. And then when I joined the show “Courthouse” it had two black leads (Jeffrey Sams and Robin Givens) and a new regime came in and said, “You can’t have a drama with black leads.” So they recast the show with two white leads. Dealing with that stuff was really frustrating. That’s why I like film.

But there’s so little diversity in black film. That’s why I’m glad films like “The Best Man” and “Love and Basketball” got made and I hope that the trend can continue. It’s so disheartening that in all the preview audiences we’ve had, one of the biggest reasons people applaud the film is because no one gets shot and no one is on drugs. How sad is that? I mean, there’s nothing wrong with a little “Booty Call” if we can get our own “Braveheart” once in awhile.

VIA:Va$htie Interview


"Discuss your upbringing and what your early influences were artistically/creatively…


I grew up in the hood of Albany. My brother and sister and I had to share a bedroom back in the day. We were PO’! ha. The only art I had in my life, at that time, were the thrift store paintings my mom had used to decorate our apartment with. Even then, I was mesmorized. I would stare at them for long periods of time. My mother had worked at my pre-school and would make drawings of big houses and animals for me. She wasn’t an “artist”, but I loved them. I thought I was the coolest kid getting notes passed to me in class from my mom.
My sister and brother played a huge role in my upbringing. They were 7-8 years older than me and in order for them to go out, they’d usually have to take their little sister. Typically, it was the movies and more than likely I was too young to be watching them. I was always visually fascinated and movies really inspired me. My brother and sister also exposed me to a range of music and cultures. My brother is gay and he would take me to all the gay clubs and taught me about house music. He would go to the city and tell me all about it…it seemed like a magical world.
Around the age of 12, I was getting into fashion/art magazines. Pre-internet, that was the best way to learn about the world without moving. They exposed me to music, cutlture, fashion. Details was great then, and all the skate magazines like Slap and Transworld. I absorbed as much as I could from those publications and it made me aware of the worlds outside of mine.
At the same time I was constantly watching movies and music videos. I loved movies like: The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Black Orpheus, Kalifornia, Rebel Without A Cause. They were all so different, but had sych an infectious creative effect on me.

What was it you found in the films of Bertolucci, Fellini, Cunningham and Ritchie that incensed you to create using visual mediums?



Well, those directors influenced me later on in life. As a kid, it was really Directors (music video and film) like: Sergio Leone, Spielberg, Scorcese, Diane Martel, Kevin Kerslake, David Fincher, Hype, Chris Cunningham and Mark Romanek. I was always interested in creating through visual mediums, but around the age of 11 or 12 I decided that it would be film. Film seemed to reach a larger audience.


http://www.vashtie.com/blog/

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Pictures Collection

Blog Archive

Alexa Rank

Link Collection

Followers

Total Pageviews